Re: [MiNT] Mistery processes...

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 11:45:44AM +0100, Frank Naumann wrote:
> > And the worst is that they're almost big processes! 131088 and 461888 bytes. I
> > don't really mind because I still have 93 Mb free but, nevertheless, if I could
> > avoid it.
>
> The program size say nothing. At the time they are started all attributes
> from the root process are inherited.

To put it more clearly: They share most of their memory with the kernel
resp. the driver.  Type "free" to find out how much memory you currently
have.  Then get the process id of "update" (probably 3) and do a "kill -9
3" and compare the new output of "free".  On my system update claims to
consume 203008 bytes.  Killing it only saves 16096 bytes though.

BTW, of course you can kill these processes.  They resist most signals,
but you can still kill them with SIGKILL (signal #9).  Actually the kernel
should take care that at least update cannot get killed.

Besides, you have to reboot now because there is no way to start the
update daemon manually. :-(
That's the price of your curiosity. :-))

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/