[MiNT] mintnet in the future

I've been looking at lots of network-apps source code, like pump,
dhclient, rpc, netkit-base, bind, etc, and I have noticed that mintnet is
missing a lot of things like 'struct sockaddr sockaddr_hw' from within
other network structures like 'ifreq' in 'netinet/if.h'.

If, a mintnet-2 is created with all these extra structures, will the
networking layers, be compatible with applications compiled for
mintnet-1.*?

Can we gradually introduce these missing features that would allow us to
port more software to our platform, or would it be better to go all out
for the current spec?

I don't think I'm even talking about IPv6, but I maybe.

I know Torsten Lang is the current MiNTNet developer, but I thought I'd
raise the question publically, to see what others think and what other
issues are brought to light. I am not intending to step on any toes, just
gauge current thinking.

Salut/.

J/.
__