Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..pro

> > > Please explain what you find so limiting on m68k processors.
> >
> > Speed?
>
> Use a m68k clocked at 100 MHz or above and you'll get that.
[and from a follow-up]
> Motorola makes 80 MHz chips that could be safely overclocked at
> 100 MHz, for real "hotter than stove at broil" Pentium behavior.

Overclocking of 25% is most definitely not safe, especially when you're
starting out with the top-of-the-line chip.
A chip sold as 60 MHz might have failed the testing at 80+margin MHz,
meaning that 60*1.25 = 75 MHz might well be possible, though.

Anyway, an x86 processor that's at least five times faster for most
things can be had for less than $100.

> Honestly, comparing our 8 to 32 MHz machines with others running
> 4 times faster is pointless.  Comparing them to a 25 MHz 486 or

Yes, since you can't get a new x86 processor that slow.  ;-)

> Pentium would give you a more accurate picture, but then again,

In what way would that give a more accurate picture?
We weren't discussing the merits of various processor architectures here.

> real life performances depend mostly on how fast the OS is.

What real life work are you talking about then?

Assuming that the hardware itself is 'fast enough', heavy file manipulation,
such as some database work will stress the file system. The graphics
subsystem can be an issue if you are, for example, working with complex
vector graphics. The inter-process communication facilities and the scheduler
can impact certain kinds of applications heavily.

None of these are things that most people would ever have to worry about,
however. Formatting a web page or a word processor document, manipulating
an image or a sound, etc, have very little to do with the OS.

--
  Chalmers University   | Why are these |  e-mail:   rand@cd.chalmers.se
     of Technology      |  .signatures  |            johan@rand.thn.htu.se
                        | so hard to do |  WWW/ftp:  rand.thn.htu.se
   Gothenburg, Sweden   |     well?     |            (MGIFv5, QLem, BAD MOOD)