Re: [MiNT] ext2 error

Hello,

> > > This isn't an error, it's a feature.
> >
> > Quite irritating though, if you are developing something that needs many
> > reboots (examples: MiNT kernel, shutdown program :-)). I can't understand,
> > why the fsck thinks it should check a partition, even when the partition
> > has been cleanly unmounted, the system has been closed properly, and the
> > fsck was not ASKED to do anything.
>
> Hey, say this to the ext2 people and not me. I'm NOT designed this. The
> ext2 tools are the original tools from the Linux people.

I believed so, thus I sat silently. I guess that this may be extremely
useful for a server, which is supposed to run continuously, thus, to many
reboots indicate by themselves, that something is wrong. But for a small
system I have (not a server, just a "workstation"), where 99% of the
reboots performed are intentional, it is quite disappointing to not have a
possibility of switching this feature off completely, even if it is
strongly undesired. And that's why I call is microsoftish (the system
tries to be more intelligent, than its admin is).

> ext2 also increment a counter everytime a ext2 partition is mounted. This
> is a documented behaviour.

I didn't say it is "undocumented". I didn't say it is a bug. I said it is
irritating.

> If you dislike this you can tune this filesystem parameter with tune2fs or
> you can hack the ext2 tools or you can hack the ext2 xfs. Or use the good
> old MinixFS.

I will probably increase the count to maximum (and I am sure it will go
down to zero some day, just when I won't have 4 minutes to wait for the
consistency check to be completed). And well, I won't return to minixfs,
since I have discovered the minix.xfs was (on my system) responsible for
the famous "Srealloc() bug".

Oh, well

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.