Re: [MiNT] Freeze when sending quantities of text through telnet

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 08:49:57AM +1200, Mario Becroft wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>
> > Any large quantity of packets (either a HUGE file or just several
> > quicks shots) is enough to crash the Reibl's drivers, using any
> > protocol, when receiving packets from the outside.
>
> The symptoms which you describe are different to what I have observed.
> When I said that the connection freezes I meant the telnet connection, not
> the physical network connection. And the problem does not occur with
> anything except telnet.

I suspect the tty code to be the culprit.  MiNT TTYs have no notion of
terminal speeds.

I vaguely remember that I had similar problems without telnet on plain
TTYs.  Pasting a large quantity of data into a TOSWIN window is also prone
to lockups.  At least things are getting extremely slow.

This doesn't mean that the kernel tty code is necessarily broken.  It may
as well be TOSWIN, the shell (i. e. the libc termios routines), Fselect,

Could you test again with a talk connection?  Or maybe even IRC, anything
that sends data to a terminal on the MiNT box.  If all programs show the
same misbehavior, you can be pretty sure that the kernel TTY code is
responsible for the freeze.

What about rsh, ssh or rlogin?

Have you tested to rlogin as users with different shells (different
versions of bash, tcsh or ash)?

Hm, could you create a user "cat" with login shell "/bin/cat" in
"/etc/passwd" and log in remotely as that user?  This should at least
proove whether the shell is broken or not.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://www.stud.uni-saarland.de/