Re: [MiNT] Why not O3

Hi,

Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> I wrote :

In facts, Atari machines have very tiny cache memory, and there's
no L2 caches. So, optimisations for speed (-O3) that generate
supposed faster code, by the way of unrolling loops and others
expensive optimisations etc ... are not efficient on our
platforms. The compacity of executable's code is much more
efficient.

Exactly that's why it was changed from -O3 to -O2.

Thanks to a previous E-mail of Thomas Binder on that
list, I discovered the "-Os" option. So far, I believed
that "-O1" was an executable size optimization. "-O1"
is rather the first level of speed optimizations. And
that option is the fastest one that I tried on my
Hades 060. This is due to the reasons I explained
in my previous message. "-Os" is pure size optimizations,
but it is not as efficient as "-O1". I'm pleased that
you agree with me. "-O2" is the default optimization
level of GCC, but "-O1" seems to me to be the best
compromise between size and speed. That's what I
experienced on Atari machines. "-O2" is too fat,
and "-Os" is too slow. Maybe you would have a similar
experience ...

Regards,

Dr. François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org
mailto:lecoat@atari.org