Re: [MiNT] ext2fs and TOS domain

Frank Naumann a écrit:
> I don't think so. At least you think it's a problem of the ext2 xfs
> driver. I disagree in this point.

I agree with you. I did not think of this since I think there IS
compatibility code in minix.xfs. But I agree it should be removed from
there and factorized in the kernel.

> > What you wrote let me think TOS domain support from ext2fs is already a
> > dirty hack.
> There are no special routines for TOS domain at all.

Then you should have wrote code to prevent access from TOS domain. ;-)

> Oh, just that you can get wrong results because one application access
> foo.bar and another access FOO.BAR (not to speaken that it's pure luck
> *which* of these files get's opened by an TOS application).

Did you read my mail ? The problem is already present since there can
already be 2 (ore more) files with the same name ("foobarfoo.bar" and
"foobarfoo2.bar" both appear as "foobarfo.bar"). A solution is to make
FOO.BAR out of reach in TOS domain.

> > I think it is the way minixfs should always have reacted in TOS mode.
> No, please look into the source to see what's going on in MinixFS.

Again I don't understand your reply. I did not wrote it was the way
minixfs reacted. Of course I know it's not ! I wrote it's the way it
_SHOULD_ always had reacted.

> > Did I succeed in changing your point of view ?
> I disagree that it's a problem of the ext2 driver. The compatibility
> operations belong to the kernel there it can be handled in a more general
> way (and still for all xfs).

OK. You're right.

I think this imply removing compatibility code from minix.xfs to get a
constant response between minixfs and ext2fs.

Now that I think of this code as a kernel part, there could be a
MINT.CNF option to control this. A value to see only files with
lowercase 8.3 filenames from TOS domain app, another to see them all,
but then with possible duplicates. This could even be controled on a per
drive letter basis.

Something like "TOS_DUPLICATE_ALLOWED=C,F,U" (any other idea for the
name is welcome) would be fine I think.

Do you agree with this ?

Best regards,

Xavier