Re: [MiNT] 1.15.12 is memory hungry

on Tue 16-10-2001 17:58 Edward S. Baiz Jr wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Oct 2001  19:51:09 , Erik Häll <erik.hall@telia.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001  17:39:45 , "Edward S. Baiz Jr" <ebaiz@skyenet.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have 256meg of ram in my Hades060. Sometimes when I am usng the new kernal
>> > I get the "out of memory" or "not enough memory" warnings. I am not sure if it is
>> > due to the new kernel or the way I have mint setup.
>>
>> I had a problem with my setup on my hades and it was
>> a program executed when bash was used showing the number of free memory.
>> The program was installed by Mint98.
>>
>> When the failing program was removed from the script
>> (I think it was .bash_login) the problem was gone.
>>
>> Maybe it is the same problem for you.
>>
>> /Erik Hall
>
>Thanks Erik. I will check that out...

IMHO, this is not the problem you're facing at (see my other message).
OTOH, Erik has a point here, but IIRC it wasn't bash that caused the
problem but tcsh or the scripts tcsh used when launched (MiNT '98 big
setup).
I was using tcsh as shell before and indeed very often I couldn't
launch another application because for some reason tcsh used all the
available memory. Not sure but I believe the used memory wasn't freed
when I exited tcsh. The problems went away as soon as I started to use
bash.

CU
Martin

--
             *****Greetings from Okami Newsreader*****
             ** On the seventh day He created Atari **