Re: [MiNT] possible silly question.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Jim DeClercq wrote:

> I probably need to change a path in a .scl file. I have been
You should start THiNG from your xa_exec.scl file, using

desk U:\c\thing\thing.app

or wherever you have put thing.
In your xa_setup.scl file you have to put

export THINGDIR="u:\c\thing"
export AVSERVER="THING   "
export AVSERVER="THING   "

Another thing to know: You can't use the THiNG version that comes packaged
with N_AES. You have to use the partly limited demo-version, or you have
to register to be able to use it completely. Or: Try Teradesk, which is
free, but can't do some things as good as THiNG can (AV protocol,
drag & drop).

> What I mean is that double-clicking on a .acc file in the
> directory will load any .acc file other than the control panel
> .acc file. Have tried two versions of x-control, and two versions
> of z-control.

You could try disabling some, or all CPX modules by renaming them to
*.CPZ. Maybe one of them causes a problem ? Or maybe the problem will
mysteriously disappear when starting your desktop from the xa_exec.scl
file. Another thing to try: Disable the lines (if any) that autostart the
programs in \xaaes\autogem\. You may find one or two "run" commands in
xa_exec.scl responsible for this.

> Oh, and speaking of Thing, the freemint-sbin RPM file is 37
> characters long, and a directory list from Thing just ignores it.
As an alternative you can view such filenames in your Toswin2 window. Use
commands like cd , ls, dir. If you become skilled in using the command
line you'll be able to perform all kinds of actions wothout needing
the desktop, and much faster.

Or: You could try Teradesk if you need a desktop that can handle very long
filenames.

I hope you'll have everything running soon. The more goes wrong, the more
you'll learn ;-) You will then understand why everyone in this mailinglist
loves FreeMiNT so much !

--

Martin Tarenskeen