Re: [MiNT] Kernel tests

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> multitasking. The ROM AES, finally, can never be shutdown properly, and this
> makes a danger, that the filesystem caches will not be flushed back to the
> media before the power goes off.

Actually, since a certain MiNT version, it mysteriously became possible to
exit the rom aes by dragging the two gem processes to the trashcan, even
though this never worked before. (Don't try to run execgem a second time
though!) :)

> install mintnet on top of that, the mintnet is also slow, clumsy, bad etc.,
> because it need flawless multitasking to run flawlessly (I mean e.g. the SLD
> daemon). But it generally somehow works.

nohog.acc is your friend.

> Of course, the user thinks that all that should be so: he has an Atari OS
> kernel, that has launched the Atari GUI and Desktop, right? So the user
> finally comes to a newsgroup and loudly claims, that MiNT is a shit, and
> MiNT-Net is even shitter.

Actually, MiNT is mostly thought as something that requires 20mb of
harddisk space and 4mb of ram, because people who COULD use MiNT just for
MiNTnet, think you must use kgmd and aes4.1 with it. It would be good if
people realised that the rom aes is an option. :) Especially those people
saying "this and that program doesn't work with magic or mint", when it's
really the aes that's the problem.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree the rom aes is an option that should be
explicitly specified on the INIT-line. :)

Maurits.