Re: [MiNT] Now it's an XServer problem

Well, no clues, so I did it the long way, and now it is a fonts
and "BADNAME" problem.

First, check for conflicts, with everything but NVDI disabled.
Still a bus error that kills X.app.

Use RPM to remove XServer, and then to install a new copy. Still
bus error.

Move ppp configuration files to a Zip drive with an ext2 file
system on in.

Move EasyMiNT install files from a tape backup to a drive, and
reinstall. Long time later, still bus error.

Having tried everything else, reinstalled NVDI and its freshup,
and now X.app runs. What comes after loading fonts is "ready..."
and that seems to happen after it calls NVDI.

So, there is a call to NVDI in there.

Two asides. Aside #1. There are probably a few STs with 14 meg
memories, if that matters, and would be two more if Waller
Systems was forthcoming. I ordered appropriate hardware, they
found two copies, I paid, they shipped, I did not get, they did
not get back, so I will have to believe that.

The reason for this is that Ghostview will only install if there
is GhostScript already installed. It will not install if
GhostScript-68000 is installed. Is there an OR function in the
RPM dependencies? This needs fixing.

Aside #2. If I have broken links, I might have broken them. MiNT
is pretty stable, but if I get a bus error running something like
man, my external MiNT drive is not there any more. I have a
Connor 8000 tape drive, and Gemar, and have found that only one
thing seems to work. Format the thing (initializing partition
does not seem to work). Install file system. Restore files from a
file backup. Image backups do not seem to work.

This has happened often enough that I have gotten pretty good at
doing it.

Now to go put in all the extra rpms I want, check some symbolic
links, fix the EasyMiNT GhostView problem, and do a tape backup.

Then, check that Xapp still runs. Do not expect speed. First met
X-Windows on Sun Workstation, 8 MHz machines, with decent size
monitors, retrieving bitmapped copies of engineering drawings.

Then I will fuss with that fonts problem, and do another tape
backup.

For what it is worth, NVDI now finds fewer fonts, but still seems
to need to build its fonts list every time it boots. Should not
do that.

--
 /"\      Jim DeClercq--jimd@panix.com--Sylvania, Ohio, USA
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |