Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

I forgot to update the "To:" field. Adam, please excuse me for sending this
twice.
---

Hi Adam,

Selon Adam Klobukowski <atari@gabo.pl>:
> O, but the _real_ subject of how Shutdown() should behave was missed.

You're right. We didn't answered you question...

> Short:
> On machines that can Poweroff, Halt, means Poweroff, only in debug
> mode Halt means really Halt.

I basically agree.

Just one note : what would happen if the kernel panic (let's say there's no GEM
or INIT line in MINT.CNF, or an unrecoverable bus error occurs in the kernel
code) and displays an error message. It still needs a way to halt the computer,
so user can see what went wrong.

So FreeMiNT still needs a way to stop the computer without powering it off. But
this code could be private to the kernel and not usable from user mode.

So, yes, Halt can mean Poweroff as long as the kernel still can use
a "Realhalt" mode.

Oh, and check that FreeMiNT issue a command to every hardrive to instruct them
to save their write cache and waits for confirmation before powering off. Or
you may run into problems. Having to poweroff manually used to allow enough
time to hardrives for saving datas, so nobody could have notice this before...

Best regards,

Xavier