Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

Hello!

> First, we decided to use illegal opcodes to invoke certain functions.
> This was OK.
>
> Then, we decided to make it easier for users of NF - instead of setting
> up an illegal insn vector and checking if this platform handles the
> particular insn or not etc. they just checked if __NF cookie is
> available and if yes they knew the NF were available. This was OK as
> well.

Yes.

> Actually it worked OK in TOS and as it followed good examples of say
> XHDI it looked OK.

The problem, XHDI isn't a good example, XHDI is a bad example.

> So what I am going to do is to propose (in ARAnyM/EmuTOS list) a step
> back - to deprecate the NF cookie pointers and to use the illegal
> instructions as the only and direct method of invoking the NF.

But only because you still don't want to write a /dev/aranym for these
features for FreeMiNT and you don't get a special syscall in freemint for
aranym.

> BTW, I hope you now finally understand that NF was never ARAnyM specific
> and that we meant it as a general interface usable even on non
> emulators.

No, that's wrong. This strictly conflict with the idea of an
(unix style) operating system that manage the machine ressources. You just
wanted something like a big library outsourced from the aranym machine.

The idea is great for sure, but not the way you want todo it.

> We spent lot of time discussing it and it turned against us.
> Too much generalization and flexibility almost killed the whole idea.

No again. You just wanted todo something but you don't spent much time on
building an architecture for that and integrating it into the
existing system architecture.

You just wanted to write 20 lines of code and getting anything you might
find useful easily pushed through the emulator.

Ciao
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060