[MiNT] Bash, tar, and the likes

Hello guys,

Recently I compiled a new bash and tar rpm against the new mintlib.
Unfortunately we now have a problem with tar that I am having trouble
isolating whether the cause is the bash recompile or the tar recompile.
Anyway, it can't find the gzip binary unless it's in the current
directory you are in.  Passing PATH for instance doesn't help.

root@washi:/root>tar ztvf st157n.tar.gz
tar (child): Cannot exec gzip: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
root@washi:/root>PATH="/bin" tar ztvf st157n.tar.gz
tar (child): Cannot exec gzip: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
root@washi:/root>cp /bin/gzip ./
root@washi:/root>tar ztvf st157n.tar.gz
drwxrwx--- root/root         0 2003-01-07 22:53 st157n/
drwxrwx--- root/root         0 2003-01-07 22:53 st157n/accs/
-rw-rw---- root/root      5886 1995-05-21 14:19 st157n/accs/clock.ac

I don't know if something in exec() changed in mintlib or WHAT but I'm
having trouble with this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
http://portal.atari-source.com