[MiNT] Block device driver interface (was: Kentry)

Hi!

I would also like to contribute to this as I see a good opportunity to get native ARAnyM disk access instead of going through the IDE emulation. Is this something we can do with that? If I understand it correctly yes.. or?

My idea is to create /dev/hdX devices that would use a common XHDI block device driver implementation driver (parametrized) that would be an implementation of the interface to be designed. I suppose we want to replace the buffer cache calls away from the filesystems implementation and instead use the new interface there. Or would that work the other way around? I mean the buffer cache would stay in place and it would use the block device driver interface underneath (this makes more sense to me at the moment)..

STanda

Frank Naumann wrote:
Hello!

I think I understand.

No :-)

What I meant is to create a dummy block device interface that would allow registering a driver, and use it (atm) only in sync. In future we could add add more stuff to it.

How do you connect this dummy block driver to a XHDI mapped drive? You simply can't. You end up adding #ifdef in a much more worse way than adding it to hw_poweroff().

If you mean that you would like me to design block device driver interface, thats ok, but I have no experiecve how such interface should work. I belive I could design a working interface, but it wouldn't be very nice code&design. I'm asking you to do it (or anyone capable) as I consider you much more experienced.

I'm sure I can help you with design. Just start and we will see what happen.

Regards,
Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 060 // MILAN 060