Re: [MiNT] XAAES slow?

Quoting Frank Naumann <fnaumann@boerde.de>:

Ok, I found out why zView is so slow regarding handling of WM_REDRAWs.

Again, Zview isn't slow in the redraw because it's fast on *any* others AES.

That's not a real argument I think.

Agreed.  "Fast" is relative.  If the application can be profiled it should be,
and making superfluous OS calls is the first thing to get rid of.  You can
never assume an OS call will return in any reasonable length of time, except
for a RTOS.

The problem is that on XaAES, wind_calc() is slow.

This is the real problem.

And ozk already mentioned that he cache now the wind_calc result inside
XaAES and that this heavily speedup the redraw (and it should now the
same as on other AES).

This should make XaAES faster for more than just zview, but I have to agree that
its the applications responsibility to remember these details and not keep
asking the AES for data that doesn't change. Fixing this in zview should make
zview faster than it is now, on ALL AES versions.

However, in zviews defense, in the presence of theming, this data WILL change,
and its possible that zview will perform correctly if a theme change occurs
while its running.  XaAES would obviously dump its wind_calc cache when the
theme changes.

Beside from that I think for zview (or the underlying library) it's also
good to know about overflous AES calls that can be optimized away (with
additional speedup).

This is what profilers are for :)

So theoretically all should be happy now :-)

Until themes are thrown into the mix.

-- Evan