Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK Alternatives

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 10:08 +0000, Odd Skancke wrote:
>  Very much what I have in mind, but its gonna take time. Besides, for a
> decent event handling system, the kernel must have kqueue()/kevent()
> functionality. Hopefully, this is not too far away ,-))

It doesn't look like anyone is implementing kqueue() right away.  I
would say its a bit complex for what most Atari developers would need,
so screw it, and implement what we can.

My point was that instead of setting a specific "mode" for a program or
window that changes how existing calls work, always make the old calls
work as before, and only new calls can get information any different.
This would clear up the "library" problems as well as expand the
architecture to make it easier to divide up event handling between
threads without complex synchronization - in fact the event system could
be used to synchronize threads.

You asked for feedback, and you haven't liked what you got, and
requested someone suggest an alternate, so I have.  What you said was
"We need two modes", which means you didn't think about my suggestion at
all.  Old apps behave as before.  New apps get more choices, but without
changing any existing calls so that external libraries are happy and the
API stays consistent.

I think it would take care of everyone's issues, and if it wasn't a
kqueue() based implementation immediately, it could always be changed to
be more efficient later providing the API that userspace sees is
consistent.