Re: [MiNT] Fwd: Re: Re[2]: GEM boost

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 18:21 -0500, Evan Langlois wrote:

> RPM is fine for GNU programs.  I'm just worried about moving to a
> dynamic loaded windom, which supposedly will have more libraries it can
> link with, and someone said MyAES is moving to dynamic modules.

And again, purec non-dynamic programs can easily use the purec version
of windom which is not in RPM.  It's not a big deal for a developer to
have multiple versions installed.  The user can choose to download a
statically linked zip or install a dynamically linked rpm.

> It seems like dynamic libs and a mess of RPM problems are going to be
> the right around the corner.  As long as that doesn't happen for GEM
> programs, then I'm fine with that.
>
> Someone even mentioned putting GEM programs into /usr/GEM/bin or
> something and /opt/app-name  !!!   Ewwww

Not ewww at all.  Putting some gem progs in the system path is useful.
And that caters to the rpm way of doing things.  You can map any
disk /opt so you could just have E:\ be your ext2 mint loving gem
applications.  The organization of the system is very much so up for
debate, not many gem applications come in RPM and not likely to start
any time soon.

Thanks,
Mark