Re: [MiNT] Fwd: Re: Re[2]: GEM boost

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:52 -0400, evan@coolrunningconcepts.com wrote:
> Quoting Maurits van de Kamp <maurits@bassment.nu>:
> > And the trouble being...?
>
> If you don't know - use it longer!
>
> >> Last I knew people didn't buy their ST machines for ANY of the little
> >> projects that exist as RPMs for MiNT.
> >
> > I don't know anyone who bought their ST especially for MiNT at all.
>
> My point was neither the history nor the future of Atari should be the RPMs on
> sparemint.  They are just ports of Linux apps.   There seems to be this
> mindset
> to make MiNT into Linux, and Linux is already available, so please DON'T!

PSSSSH.. Part of the beauty of freemint is the fusion of a gnu system
and GEM.  MiNT will never be linux...  so chill.

> > That has nothing to do with RPM. It can be used to install Atari-specific
> > software as well. The software you use ISn't rpm, it's just managed by rpm.
>
> Traditionally, Atari software is installed by copying it anywhere you
> like, and
> maybe copy the .RSC file as well.  It can be moved anywhere at anytime,
> and you
> can delete it by simply removing it from your drive - toss it in the
> trash can !
>
> Thats user-friendly.

Sure, we'll just unzip and place into a folder programs that are
dynamically linked.. Why not?  Why bother with package management when
we can emulate the f*ing mess that is windows.

> Now, for RPM to be effective, it has to be universal.  Everything has
> to be RPM,
> or at least all libraries and files that may have a dependency on any
> other part
> of the system.  So, if windom becomes a dynamically loaded library distributed
> via an RPM  - which seems to be the direction we're heading - then all GEM
> programs will have to be installed via RPM.  Now, due to changes of the windom
> library, an upgrade is requried :
>
>     rpm -ivh mygemapp.rpm
>
> so that fails because it says windom is too old ... so they find and
> download a
> newer one:
>
>     rpm -Uvh windom-x.y.rpm
>
> This may fail and say that 10 other packages need the old version!

Yes, this is an api change.  You can have both versions of windom
installed.

You seem to forget that we are a small community and can bend the rules
a bit.  Fact is the entire sparemint tree is completely broken in that
conflicts and requires are not properly specified for many packages.
This will need all fixed up for a proper dynamically linked system.  And
you're talking about a dream problem.  I wish we had dynamic shared lib
api problems because it would mean we had dynamic shared libs!

> And yes, I have seen things exactly like this in the past on redhat systems.
>
> And no more deleting something with the thrash can :
>
>      rpm -e mygemapp.rpm

Well since I'm building a GEM package manager... Whatever...

> > What's so user-unfriendly about rpm? Is "rpm -Uvh package.rpm" so hard to
> > type?
>
> Since when did Atari users think thats its OK to go to shell prompt to install
> software?   This makes me really sad.

You won't have to.

> >> Now I know why 50% of the Atari users are using MagiC!
> >
> > Sure, it's because they hate RPM. (Though my guess is that 99% of those MagiC
> > users don't know what it is).
>
> As long as MiNT is targetted towards Linux users, the traditional ST
> user won't
> be interested.

It's not targeted that way.  GNU ports need GNU package management.  If
you don't like it, don't use it.  Last time I checked MiNT can be
installed with kernel + AES and done.  If that's fine for you, oh well.

Thanks,
Mark