Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK implementation : conclusions.

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 01:21 +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> > About the library concept.
> >
> > i don't want to re-invent the wheel all the time.
>
> With static libs as we have now, you don't have to either. The difference is
> that you have to deliver the same wheels with every binary, but they don't
> have to be reinvented.

Interesting analogy.  You buy a new car, but the dealer assumes you have
your own wheels already, these wheels will be the right ones for your
new car, and you will bolt them on EVERY time you go driving.

If you have more than one car, you generally have different wheels on
each one, and you don't think its easier to bolt 1 set of wheels to
every car when you drive it!

Static libs don't require a mess of excess files outside the program
itself that need to managed with package managers and special file
system layouts and version control systems.  They also load faster in
spite of the larger file size since only the required functions from
each library are loaded instead of loading an entire shared library and
them doing the linking at run-time.

The snappy load time of apps gets slower and slower as you add more and
more dynamic libs to the system.