Re: [MiNT] Re[2]: GEM boost

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:17 -0500, Evan Langlois wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 10:47 +0200, Olivier Landemarre wrote:
>
> > This a bad idea, I know RPM, I use Linux but I prefer Magic than any
> > other Atari system, because I use it for near 10 years on a Mac.Atari
> > developpers are not only on Mint! And I know other people like me!
>
> Then my next question is - what would make MiNT more attractive to MagiC
> users, or rather what is unattractive about MiNT?  The "runs on a Mac"
> is obvious, and we can't do that (although maybe a TSR to implement
> calls that Magic doesn't have might be worth it, although it would be a
> tough hack).

I've often thought about this.  Given how fast and lean MagiC is as a
foundation, implementing the leftover calls would help prevent leaving
MagiC ST/STe users in the dust.  It'd be very neat to be able to run GIM
under MagiC with MagiCNet.

If my understanding is correct, older versions of MiNTLib were
"self-contained" in that a kernel level call had it's function coded
within the lib whereas a lot of mintlib now uses kernel calls.

So function mkdir() inside mintlib would just be wrapped to kernel
Kmkdir() (or something of that nature!)

It's my impression that one of these older mintlibs must have been how
MagiCNet was possible - it's a shame the sourcecode wasn't released.

Thanks,
Mark