Re: [MiNT] Cool new AES features

I've been reading quietly this whole thread.

It's a little confusing, and I understand the frustration of some people.

My take is:
find something that works well (be it zview modules, or whatever),
Make sure it's easy to use for developers.
make sure it's open src and well documented.
implement it in AES for mint (xaaes).
If magic people want to use it,  they supposedly have shared libs support, so they can always port that to update their aes. (I would imagine).

As far as naes vs xaaes;
Naes is frozen, but proven to work, so you can't blame the users to use something that is useable :)

Xaaes is definitely the future, but the transition is hard, it is best to be persistent and always provide a safety-net, through either cross compatibility, or ease of switching from one to the other.  (similar issues with browsers on other platforms, very hard to convert people from using I.E to firefox for example)
I love the ERS look, and would love to fidget with the widgets & icons etc, I'm an eye-candy man myself, but not if it is detrimental to what I use to have,  That's the main reason I have never used Enlightenment Desktop on linux).  I understand this is a desktop issue and not AES, but the desktop can be limited by what the AES has to offer. And in turn, the AES can be limited by the OS and hardware.

I personally trust Ozk's judgement, (and Frank's as well of course). But I believe there's a lot of miscommunication, and it would not surprise me one bit if with a little clarification everybody would agree.  Maybe time to lay out a white paper about xaaes' future.

Was just my 2 cents, and mostly to say hi to y'all.

Odd Skancke <ozk@atari.org> wrote:
ons, 06,.07.2005 kl. 17.49 -0400, skrev Mark Duckworth:
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 23:38 +0200, Zorro wrote:
>
> > >These plugins can display a PNG *OVER* an existing image using the alpha
> > >channel of the PNG to composite two images?
> > >
> > Not with the actual version ( Beta 5).. you can only choose a background
> > color and the RGBA will be drawn above.
> >
> > With the next version, yes, you will can to do that.
>
> IMHO the complaints about zview are bunk. It seems to me that it's a
> good graphics conversion backend to base software on. But then again
> I'm not a seasoned AES coder. What does ozk think? It should be his
> choice.

I'm not familiar with the libraries or whatever in question here, but I
dont see no reason not to use them, as long as the API is standarized in
such a way that using these libs (or whatever) dont create a problem
later on (for example if they suddenly get unsupported, no source and we
want to port).

Best Regards
Odd Skancke