Re: [MiNT] Cool new AES features

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Evan Langlois wrote:

> How about a PNG and SVG output device that work like the memory driver?
> How about user defined gradients, non-rectangular clipping rectangles,
> and anti-aliased primitives such as squares, circles, and arcs?

Hello Evan,

I've been reading the discussions, and to be honest I'm growing a bit
tired to hear comments like above without any earthly connection.

You do know that the majority of MiNT users are probably using something
like a TT. That means about a 32MHz 68030 CPU. In my opinion the OS HAVE
to be quick and nice to use on these machines. Today it is, with Ozks
great improvements to XaAES it is.

With anti-aliasing of primitives (and possibly fonts), semi-transparency
with composition of layers, realtime gradient in different shapes etc, the
system will be completely UNUSABLE for the majority of the people. You
have to consider the hardware that the OS should run on, and be
realistic.

Let's trust Ozk for a bit shall we? He knows our hardware platform inside
and out.

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@dhs.nu     http://www.dhs.nu/