Re: [MiNT] obsolete aout binutils?

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 20:48 +0200, Philipp Donzé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> It's a real pity than I'm not a system coder otherwise I would
> >> have made
> >> something :-/
>
> I'm not a "system coder" either. But why not try to become one? I
> always wanted to contribute something useful to an operating system.
> Where should we start? Becoming a "system coder" needs a lot of
> knowledge. Even though many of use do (or did) studies in computer
> science, the existing projects (linux kernel, GCC, binutils,
> freemint, ...) are so huge, so its very hard to get along with the
> source code, get an overview of the different parts and how they work
> together.
> At the moment I just scratched the surface of some of these projects
> (binutils, GCC) and I have no idea of a good way to understand their
> source code/modules.

That's the thing.  All I have is time, (some) money, and hardware.. 2
aranym boxes and a falcon ct60.  I have some very very moderate C
programming skills which people can review for how good/poor they are
with the code in my CVS servers.  They're nothing special.. nothing
serious..  I'm not a systems coder.  but I have the time to learn and
would love to do so.  I just can't find good how-to docs for the gnu
tool chain, etc.  Where do I start?  Do I learn asm?  I'm also not a CS
student either...  I only went to college for one term and quit.
Without the directed college courses, I'm afraid I'm somewhat lost.

Thanks,
Mark