Re: [MiNT] Printing

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:49:33 , Philipp Donzé <philipp.donze@epfl.ch> wrote:

> Do you want to print plain text with basic colors?
> Do you want to print color photos coming from your digital camera?
> Using the "full capabilities" of your photo printer?
>
> In the first case a very simple color conversion algorithm can be
> used which maps RGB colors directly to CMYK.
> In the second case we're in a lot more trouble. To have an accurate
> color reproduction it's necessary to know the characteristics of the
> monitor as the primary colors of CRT and LCD monitors differ ("What's
> the appearance of the RGB color 255/50/142?").

I always find this a slightly strange idea.
To my way of thinking the monitor is just another interpretation of
the "true" colours held in the image data.

If the print output doesn't exactly match the monitor who is
to say whuch is right ?

Ok it would be great (in an ideal World) if they matched
but frankly I'd be happy with a fairly faithful reproduction
of the image on a colour printer using most/all of the printer
features (I don't really know what the latest, greatest
printers are capable of).

Maybe we should consider just picking one make of printer
and getting the best from their models rather than trying
to support several different makes and getting poor
results ?

Regards,

Peter