Re: [MiNT] Binutils 2.18 + GCC 4.2.3

Hi all,

just some kind of report -- I managed to compile mentioned "super bootstrap" binutils/gcc. To my surprise, when I overlook little delays I've had, whole compilation took about 12 hours for both binutils and gcc on the latest p4-optimized aranym, which is quite good. And it fits fine on 2 GB image, including mintlib in all (+060) versions.

Things I had to patch:

- libgcc/libgcc020/libgcc060 creation -- for some strange reason 'ar' (stage1/stage2/stage3, doesn't matter) command with the list of .o files to link fails on "illegal instruction". Sometimes I've seen message I've patched into mintlib ("increase TPA bla bla") which was quite surprising since I used TPA = 8 MB. But it's very hard to debug (if not impossible) since when I copy&paste this commandline into script, it creates library in a seconds.

- well known (at least to me) problem with "have strtof/strtold", I had to #undef these two flags in c++locale.cc

- 060 stuff: I wanted to cheat a little bit so I defined BOOT_CFLAGS = -O2 -m68060 just in (source tree) gcc/Makefile.in ... and guess what happend? Nothing, my flags were completely ignored ;-) I'm not sure why, maybe it was overriden by toplevel Makefile.in or ... no idea. This should result in using 060 optimization for stage2/stage3 but as I say, I again compiled 68000 gcc ;-)

- ... and that's all! We've made cool work, after that c++locale.cc fix, I've seen this morning completely compiled binutils/gcc/g++/libstdc++ !

Are there any things I could test? (Keith?) If anyone interested, I can upload this gcc/binutils somewhere.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org