Re: [MiNT] Pilot link

> A couple of years ago I was looking at how to produce rpm files so I
> suppose the next step is to try to package popt.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I did quite some packaging for Sparemint several years ago (until my falcon's
harddisk started to die and i had to make the move to linux/x86).

I think the easiest way to do update popt would be:

- install the existing old popt sparemint SRPM [1]
- go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS (or was it /usr/src/sparemint, can't remember...)
- modify popt.spec
- copy the new src tarball to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
- run "rpm -ba popt.spec"

Often the only changes needed in the .spec are to update the software version
in the Version: header tag, and to write a new changelog entry.

And there's a good chance you'll find fixes for porting problems like this wchar
issue, which I somehow seem to remember to have seen before, could be it is used
already with tho old popt rpm.

Also if a new patch is needed, just make backup copies of the affected source
files, using a descriptive extension (like .wchar in this case) or even just
"something.c.orig" etc., then edit the source and finally run rpm's gendiff
from outside the build tree to create the patch. Gendiff is a very convenient
helper script IMO. See man gendiff or run "gendiff" to get a usage message.
Then move the patch to SOURCES and edit the .spec file to include it.

To learn rpm may need a bit of your time first, but later can save you a lot
of it. I always thought it was worth the initial effort.

Edgar

[1] http://sparemint.atariforge.net/sparemint/SRPMS/popt-1.3-4.src.rpm