Re: [MiNT] binutils 2.18 patch

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 23:19 +0200, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
> >> If so, the obvious way to fix the problem would be to not use the
> >> --enable-shared option when building the binutils...
> >> I'm probably still missing something...
> >
> > No, you are not missing anything. But the patch is small and allows the
> > passing of --enable-shared. It follows other architectures and I don't
> > see any reason why it shouldn't be used.
>
> I just would like to keep the patch as small/simple as possible...
>
> When people want to compile the binutils (or GCC), they know that shared
> libraries are not supported, so they don't put --enable-shared on the
> configure command line, and everything is good.

Well, when people try to use --enable-shared and maybe they don't
understand that shared libraries aren't supported.

> Did you face any real-wold problem without this patch ?

Yes. In scripts that use --enable-shared by default and I don't want to
change those scripts.

> I would like to know what other peoople think about that.

Not to worry though, I'll maintain my own set of patches, based from
yours.

Thanks.

Alan.