Re: [MiNT] Some comments on gcc 4.3.2

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:07:43 , Miro Kropacek <miro.kropacek@gmail.com> wrote:

> > True but we all aim for VM and shared libraries.  At least I know I
> > do.  I ordered that BSD 4.4 book as well ;)
> >
> While I'm in this evil mood (?) -- why we need it after all? I mean yes,
> it's cool and modern and it allows some nice things like mmap() but from
> Atari point of view? GEM stuff wont use it, demos wont use it, games
> wont use it. It will be nice only for ports from Linux world and how
> many apps / libs you actually *need* to have linked dynamically?
> Arguments like "when you update libc, all applications will gain from
> it" isn't right here since number of applications is counting in tens so
> it's OK to rebuild everything on cross compiler using some build script
> and release new distro when some serious bug happen to be fixed.

Wasn't it said earlier that small number of developers able to build
distros (until they get bored) is a problem, so wouldn't having the
ability to dynamically link libs would be an advantage ?

I agree that memory requirements are a problem, in most cases it would
be ok to load several copies of the same lib (if this makes thigs easier).

Does VM create possibilities to port more *nix stuff like USB and printer
drivers ?

All stuff for the future. We haven't had a FreeMint release in years.
Frank, can we have one please ?

Peter