Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib for ColdFire

on 4/29/09 1:52 PM, Vincent Rivière wrote:

> Lonny Pursell wrote:
>> The reason I think it's a huge task,
>> if because the entire sources are 100% assembler.  I'll rephrase it as
>> perhaps tedious work then.  ;-))
>
> You know the story... First UNIX versions were written in assembler. The C
> language has been invented to rewrite UNIX in a portable way, so it can be
> recompiled to any CPU.
>
> If you (or a team around you) would rewrite the GFA in 100% C language, it
> could be recompiled on any CPU running any OS. Of course, in some cases the
> C language can be slower than assembler (compilers produce excellent code
> nowadays), but on a fast, modern CPU it doesn't matter.
>
> Furthermore, if you release your code as Free Software, the GFA could be
> ported to any OS, and distributed with most Linux distributions. The GFA
> would become immortal, able to run on any future computer.
>
> And it is the same thing for all software.

What you say is true.  Perhaps I should not write it off as impossible. I
started on this quest in 2005, and giving up on it would be extremely hard I
have to admit that.  It has taken ages to get to this point where I have
commented assembler that I can finally work with.  It might depend if Ingo
is interested in this too. We help each other along the way. He should be
receiving these posts.  I suppose he will chime in if he feels the need.

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/