Re: [MiNT] EmuTOS for ColdFire

on 5/4/09 4:38 AM, Peter Persson wrote:

> The real world? So the rest of us lives in happy fluffy land, is that
> it? :-)

To me "happy fluffy land" is ARM or PPC or x86, everyone suggests it, but no
one wants to do the work. Unless there is a project out there that I'm
unaware of?  Sure I welcome it, was excited when Ozk got his PPC board.  But
it ended up like a lot of things, an endless loop of waiting and/or
disappointment. Even if this does appear, certainly some will not like the
CPU chosen, that's almost for certain and some people that are just not
interested, much the same scenario.

> Maybe I misinterpret you (again), but If I try to sum your post up, I
> get the impression it's all about "porting to a new architecture is
> bad in every possible way". But the alternative is to A: look at some
> FPGA softcore (which is probably not going to happen, and if it does,
> it will not beat the 060) or B: look at emulation (which isn't an
> option to some of us). Sure, porting the OS to x86 could be an idea,
> but then again looking at e.g. AROS (which has been in development
> since forever) this means being plagued with (severely) limited
> hardware compatibility.

I knew full well when I bought the Hades, none of the Falcon DSP stuff would
work.  Even had a Falcon before hand, and so I knew what would be gone, but
did it anyway. I already had a TT with a video card too and I also new just
how much software was not going to run simply because the old ST modes was
gone.  That didn't stop me either.  :)

Heck, MiNT itself excludes a lot of people/hardware just at the software
level alone.

Well the bottom line is anyone that is strongly against it does not have to
participate at all.  Just like they opt'd not to get a hades or milan or
whatever Atari model. Still users on plain ST's, it's not the end of the
world. They can stay in their comfort zone, they just have to accept that
there may be some stuff coming out that won't run.  However that will still
happen on some other architecture.

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/