Re: [MiNT] XaAES sources for FreeMiNT 1.16.3

On 9 dec 2009, at 17.55, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> This reminds me the DirectX API on Windows.
> M$ enabled the direct access to the video memory from user programs, even for video cards who don't support this, through MMU tricks.
> The pixel format depend on the actual hardware and mode, but it can be retrieved reliably (sounds familiar ?).

To get decent frame rates, the application has to render something in the same format as the physical screen before blitting it to a window.
The same thing applies when accessing video ram directly, except there is no overhead for blitting etc.

So basically - I still don't get why applications shouldn't have access to the framebuffer, because it's really needed for games, emulators etc.

-- PeP