Re: [MiNT] File sizes

On 1/2/10 5:53 AM, p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
I am just experimenting with firewire capture of my diving videos
from DVCAM tapes. Using full resolution they are big files. Maybe
there is another video format that the files can be saved in that
requires less space using better compression.

I am using full PAL resolution at the moment and they aren't even
HiDef videos !

The straight videos from a mini dv cam are basically uncompressed so nearly anything is better. I prefer H264 but H264 DV is resource intensive on a modern PC to playback let alone an atari. I would use maybe Xvid. I wouldn't touch them if you plan to edit them, add transitions, etc. But if they are in their final format, a high bitrate xvid shouldn't be too annoying.

Thanks,
Mark