Re: [MiNT] Sparemint Coldfire

On 1/7/10 3:17 PM, Vincent Rivière wrote:
Eero Tamminen wrote:
One possibility for bootstrapping a new architecture and cross-compiling
stuff for it would be to use e.g. Scratchbox2 (or v1) + NFS or SSH-FS mount
&  Scratchbox remote shell running on Aranym for transparently running
the configure etc checks natively while doing the RPM building on fast host
machine.

Someone (maybe you ?) pointed at Scratchbox some time ago. I looked at it, and I found the concept very nice. But it may be complicated to setup for novice users. However you seem experienced on it, maybe you could try it to see what is missing to use it on MiNT.

Scratchbox is interesting but it doesn't help us with sparemint very much. I'm a believer in sparemint and rpm and that's how I'm going to do it. Didier showed me a method used to detect native 68k instructions being executed by cf68klib so I'll be able to build and verify cf packages on my coldfire eval board. Because of the work Alan has put into gentoo mint I would be apt to go with that more than scratchbox. Scratchbox's primary benefit is crossbuilding the whole system and using ipkg for package management on the embedded device (our machines). This would be fine, but I feel this should be secondary to sparemint for now which is well established.

Random question, anybody have a Suska? Do you know if it can do 16MB of STram on TOS 2.06 and alt ram? I have a strange obsession as of late of getting an STe running with more than 4mb of ram in st high. A suska would fit but it's quite expensive for me and I just bought another mega ste ;)

Thanks,
Mark