Re: [MiNT] Patch for xaloader.prg

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Miro Kropacek <miro.kropacek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 mar 2010, at 22.25, Patrice Mandin wrote:
>> > While you are at it, couldn't you do the same for the MiNT kernel:
>> > A small loader to put in auto folder, to run (and/or manually select)
>> > the kernel dependent of current cpu, would be also useful when switching
>> > between 030 and 060.
>>
>> Actually I already started to do this. Right now it emulates the behavior
>> of xaloader.prg, but I could add a menu or something later on (is that
>> really needed?).
>
> This whole thing can be taken for much wider purpose -- I remember
> discussion with Frank, he told me the best solution for VM-ready mint kernel
> would be separate memory (and other) initializations into one small loader,
> i.e. set up everything incl. MMU (read-only text segments for all loaded
> TSRs for example) and then just load kernel itself to completely safe/sane
> environment. So definitely go ahead Peter, your work can be very good base
> for this extension in a future.
> About the menu: yes, I'd welcome it very much, looking into <sysdir> for all
> possible *.PRG files would be awesome -- remember not only CPU but also
> things like debug kernels or custom configurations are quite nice to be
> selectable.
> --
> MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
> http://mikro.atari.org

Yep, it will be a good thing for the future additions to MiNT, as well
as being useful for certain setups ATM

the only generic menu item I can see (give or take) is a 68000 option.
So probably not to funky on the menu side yet (coding wise), as most
of us would only use 1 alternative (but yes the option for more should
be there)..

BTW, I had an idea for the ACP like this, but GRUB/LILO style graphic
menu (possibly mouse too???). That sort of idea might be useful for
what Mikro is taking about, where the loader does certain thing befor

Paul