Re: [MiNT] Patch for xaloader.prg

On 1 mar 2010, at 22.25, Patrice Mandin wrote:
> While you are at it, couldn't you do the same for the MiNT kernel:
> A small loader to put in auto folder, to run (and/or manually select)
> the kernel dependent of current cpu, would be also useful when switching
> between 030 and 060.

Actually I already started to do this. Right now it emulates the behavior of xaloader.prg, but I could add a menu or something later on (is that really needed?).
This whole thing can be taken for much wider purpose -- I remember discussion with Frank, he told me the best solution for VM-ready mint kernel would be separate memory (and other) initializations into one small loader, i.e. set up everything incl. MMU (read-only text segments for all loaded TSRs for example) and then just load kernel itself to completely safe/sane environment. So definitely go ahead Peter, your work can be very good base for this extension in a future.

About the menu: yes, I'd welcome it very much, looking into <sysdir> for all possible *.PRG files would be awesome -- remember not only CPU but also things like debug kernels or custom configurations are quite nice to be selectable.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org