Re: [MiNT] 'cd' does not like u:

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:02:48 , Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
>> Helmut Karlowski wrote:
>>
>> > In bash cd c: works, but then I would want it to go to the directory it
>> > came from on c: (like DOS).
>>
>> In DOS, changing drive and changing directory are two different things.
>> To change to C in DOS, you simply type 'c:', while changing to a
>> different directory on the active drive is done by issuing a cd-command.
>> You can't really compare this to the unix cd-command.
>>
>> Jo Even
>
> One of those DOS bugs/oddities.

..or quirk/feature. :)

> If you do   cd c:  it will not automatically go to the c root
> but to the last folder that was used on c:

This will always be the case, as it allow one to get around long paths, ie:
f:
cd /some/really/long/path/that/is/over/125/characters/long
c:
cd  /some/equally/long/path/that/is/also/over/125/characters/long
copy *.* f:

> I find this annoying.

You will have to live with this one I'm afraid, however you should be able to:
cd c:/
or
cd c:/some/path

note: drive letters were not originally supported by the CD command

> Since DOS was a copy of CPM it may be a hangover from that.

yes and no, mostly no because CP/M did not support folders, but rather
"user numbers/rings" (which are synonymous with 1 level pre-named
directories)

> Peter

Good to see you still have time for list stuff, hope to see some more
HW dev work soon..

Paul