Re: [MiNT] Gentoo Installer? (PLEASE: NO DAYDREAMING IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!)

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:58 +0200, George Nakos wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Ever  since  Alan  got his Gentoo snapshot out, I'm like "oh neat! I
>   have  to  try  this  out!". To be honest though, the install process
>   kind  of  turns me off. Install easymint then untar gentoo on top of
>   it?
>
>   One  idea is to modify the easymint installer to support gentoo. But
>   I  don't know if Marc-Anton is interested in doing it and/or has the
>   free time for it. (Now would be a good time for him to respond!)
>
>   Failing   this,  why  not  writing  a  small  text-based  (for  now)
>   installer?  It  would  more or less do what easimint installer does,
>   call  a few external programs, copy a few files, generate a mint.cnf
>   et voila.
>
>   First  of all of course Alan needs to comment, in order to explain a
>   bit  the Gentoo package structure (for times when the distro reaches
>   a  more mature format than a single tar.bz2). Then we can proceed in
>   making  a  barebones  script  and  then  implement  it  into a small
>   program.
>
>   Like  I  write  on  topic, please please please don't start replying
>   with  20-page  novels that noone is interested to read, or suggest a
>   ton  of "cool" features. Let's just stick to making something usable
>   right now, with scope for easy improvement later on.
>
>   Hope to reading some constructive replies!

Hi,

O.k. Just to re-iterate this is a "preview" release. There are still a
few things I'd like to iron out, like init scripts and a few bugs.

But, I'd really like to use the EasyMiNT installer and re-craft it to
use the gentoo tarball at some future date. If Marc wants to work with
me to achieve that that's great.

Alan.