Re: [MiNT] INIT : file not found

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 15:09:12 , Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

> If there is interest I will look at a FUSE driver for mint, sooner
> rather than later.
>
> Fuse is a system of modules for connecting to any data that can be
> presented as a filesystem, presented to the OS as a drive (or nix
> drive path)
>
> It is therefore not limited to actual hardware or FS formats.
> Databases, Gmail, etc, and other "weird" drivers are available,
> including NTFS over USB
>
> Due to drive letter availablity under TOS, it may happen that a Fuse
> drive for MiNT would need to be restricted to a single instance drive
> (eg: F:) and the individual driver modules mounted as folders on that
> drive (eg: F:/MY16G/ )

Fine! So we could mount any device into a partition already containing
data, that's it ? Or, would this partition have to be reserved for this
single purpose - which wouldn't be that convenient - ?
OTOH, if I understood correctly, this would only work under MiNT. So
TOS apps wouldn't benefit it - but it's better than nothing -.

> Like I say, if there is interest, I will look at this sooner rather
> than later (now that there is a USB stack, more can be done with it)

I'm surprised that nobody encouraged you so far...
It's becoming harder everyday to find low capacity drives. I cant find
drives smaller than 80 GB except as refurbished ones. And not to mention
SATA becoming the most popular, so IDE is even hader to find.
Same for optical drives : I bought a slim DVD burner a few monthes ago,
which was to be IDE, but in fact I received a SATA one. I contacted the
seller that explained me that it was a typo, and that it was not possible
to find anything but SATA ones. Not that cool.
Another thing that suprises me, is that ther have been very few attempts
to upgrade TOS capacityes as handling large partitions, and most of them
never went further than beta.
I remember BigDOS, for instance, that I tried once and that caused massive
data loss, so I gave up. It was something around 0.9 or so, IIRC.
Just wondering why there have been so few attempts.
Anyway... good luck with your project (if you decide to do it)!

J.-Luc