Re: [MiNT] Daily builds

From: "Helmut Karlowski" <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 10:43 PM
To: <ole@monochrom.net>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Daily builds

Am 07.06.2010, 22:15 Uhr, schrieb m0n0 <ole@monochrom.net>:

Sorry to say that, but to me this does not sound like an good
compatibility enhancement. Because the old systems could not handle lower
case names, it interprets lower cases as uppercase. At least, that's what
the docs say. So, when I code an "open file selector" for old Ataris, I
would also pass lower case file ext, because I think: "that doesn't
matter". I assume many programs pass lower case, but mean upper case.

What do you want to say with that?

Say pure-c wants *.C. It would then just get files with *.C, but I want
*.c and perhaps *.C. Get it?

This is only relevant when browsing folders on an ext2-partition. This is easy to check for, and you might already do that (not looking for ext2 specifically, but only use this fix on case sensitive filesystems). Not that it matter though ;-)

I think it also should only be used when the calling application is in the TOS-domain. I think it's pretty safe to assume that apps in the MiNT-domain knows about upper/lowercase. I think it's rude by the fileselector to override the filesystem functionality in this case.

Jo Even