Re: [MiNT] "pid 80 (conholio) : unifs: couldn't match a drive with a directory"

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 18:16 +0200, Peter Persson wrote:
> 26 jul 2010 kl. 18.11 skrev Vincent Rivière:
>
> > Peter Persson wrote:
> > I have already reported that recently.
> > It happens with any software built with a recent MiNTLib and run with an old kernel. It happens when the program is run from a specific drive (i.e. C:\) but not from U:\.
>
> That explains it!
>
> > Alan answered we should not run new programs with old kernels, but we should at least investigate that to understand what is going on.
>
> "we should not run new programs with old kernels"?
>
> I take it this is a joke? In this case, "old kernel" == 1-16 (and this is an official release unlike 1-17).

You should take that with some context.

If you build new software against the newer MiNTlib then it can take
advantage of new system calls which are not present in older kernels.
Depending on how the software is written it may not fail gracefully if a
system call fails.

Now, this is really with new unix style software, but for Atari software
compiled against the mintlib it's unlikely to take advantage of these
new system calls so should work just as well with old kernels as new
kernels.

Alan.