Re: [MiNT] Conholio 0.7r

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 01:14 PM, George Nakos wrote:
>
>> Conholio uses monospaced (or fixed width if you prefer the term) fonts
>> of  8  pixels  wide (no problem with height) and renders it on its own
>> into  screen  to gain the awesome speed it has. I'd say, if you like a
>> certain  font to be included into conholio, either convert it yourself
>> or  send  it to Pep so he can probably convert it. Obviously the first
>> choice would save him some time :)
>
> It's probably just me, but I couldn't find a description of the format
> used by Conholio. A simple .FNT->Conholio conversion utility should not
> be too hard to write. There are plenty of monospaced, 8 pixel wide fonts
> out there.
>
> Jo Even

PSF is refered to as "linux console screen fonts" on various web sites..

>From PeP:
> The other formats, well, I have no idea. It's some linux font format, and
> I just implemented enough support for it to load some of them..
.. which at a technical level are bitmap based fonts. I found a perl script
that converts (adobe) .BDF -> .PSF (bdf2psf - part of debians console-setup)
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/karmic/bdf2psf)

I believe the use of .PSF for conholio is a good one, and that the addition of
vdi fonts would be welcomed later on (according to the posts here)

If you were to add the extra font/char handling sooner rather than later (as
opposed to adding the vdi font handling, or swapping handling .PSF out) you
would get more people using conholio for more purposes (in this example Jo,
Norwegian, mail client, probably others)

Paul