Re: [MiNT] trunk-09082010 file structure / content

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 13:23 +0200, Miro Kropacek wrote:
> > I'm thinking of people with 020's, but why is it such a big deal to
> > include it ? You are advocating not to include it, but does it actually
> > make your life harder in anyway ?
> I don't know, do you really feel comfortable when some newbie asks on
> ML "What is kernel XY and why there is seven of them?" answering
> "Well, it doesn't make your life harder, does it" ? It should have
> some serious reason. Even Frank wanted to follow this approach, Linux
> follows this approach, why do you think they do it?

First of all, Frank isn't here, much to our loss, so let's not try
speaking for him. As for questions, we get asked them everyday, one more
doesn't cause me any problem. It's a simple answer. Do you have an 020
accelerator ? Yes or No.

As for Linux, the kernel is built once with a specific -mcpu= flag and
distro's will do the work. We are doing exactly the same, yet providing
the pre-built binaries.

> > Eh? You've told me in an earlier thread that you only wake up in RC
> > time. No kidding. Now you want to merge into one kernel.
> Wake up for testing, testing!!! I don't use / update FreeMiNT on
> regular basis but this doesn't mean I don't want to fix / improve some
> things.

Sure, but I'd worry you've gone back to sleep.

> > Then you are asking users to start doing kernel builds. Mmmm. Might as
> Huh, where do you see it? You can be that 'someone', you're the
> maintainer. It's just much easier to have just one or two builds by
> default.

I am that someone - that's exactly what I'm saying. I'll build all the
relevant kernels. Heck, even the MiNT loader would remove the worry from
the user and load the right one anyway.

> My question about your opinion was about this code merge into one (or
> two, generally, as few as possible) kernel. If you don't like it, I of
> course wont start a work, it makes no sense.

There is always going to be CPU specific options. MMU and FPU as well as
different instructions. Choice is a fact of life.

Alan.