Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:50:30 , Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 15:49 +0200, Peter Slegg wrote:
> > The default folder would remain the same. How many ini's do you need ?
>
> What is the "default folder"? I expect one mint.ini for each version of
> MiNT. If I have one stable and one dev-kernel, I would probably want
> debug enabled in only one of them.
>
> > It only has a few params and it would still be easy to access and
> > change if there is a boot issue.
>
> Every time you boot? Sounds easier to boot TOS and fix stuff in the rare
> occasions where the system-folder is messed up.
>
> > The problem with the current system is if the correct folder is not
> > there the it won't boot. There is no Mint fallback.
>
> There is. It's called TOS.
>
> > I've had situations where the mistake was in a sym link on an ext2
> > drive and that's irritating.
>
> And your solution wouldn't do anything about it. That symlink to
> xaloader will cause the wrong xaaes.km to be loaded - it can only be
> fixed by booting the correct kernel or fixing the symlink. Not by
> reading the wrong mint.cnf or loading the wrong modules.

Yes it would, there would be a much greater possibility of getting
back into Mint-XaAES and being able to fix it.

People seem to be happy with having hack their way out of non-booting
situations. I was just suggesting a simple change that would make it
infinitely more user friendly if/when it goes wrong.

Peter