Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On 12/15/10 8:49 AM, Peter Slegg wrote:
I've had situations where the mistake was in a sym link on an ext2
drive and that's irritating.

There is also the init infinite loop problem.

I was suggesting a simple method to avoid such issues by using the
alternative mint folder that might allow it to boot.

Linux uses a menu to let you pick different kernels for such situations.

Maybe mint.prg should sit in the correct mint folder and a loader app
goes in the AUTO ?

Peter
Problems on the ext2 should be accessed and repaired via emergency mechanisms in the init scripts that we do not have yet. The build in shell is promising but usually doesn't work right for me. Most linux distributions allow you to type I for an interactive boot and you can decide to enable or disable things. An easy flag in mint.ini that would allow you to just go to /bin/sh would be sweet though. Normally I have to go edit mint.cnf. A bit of a pain, but I rarely have to do it so I don't complain (or well since freemint is open source, modify the code myself). I think our situation is much better than linux as is.

Does all this run once configuration stuff stay resident? Maybe it would be better to have 2 or 3 separate progs, a config parser/interactive boot thing that then calls the kernel with lots of CLI args so what is resident is as lean as possible.

Thanks,
Mark