Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:30 +0200, Peter Slegg wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:52:55 , Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes it would, there would be a much greater possibility of getting
> > > back into Mint-XaAES and being able to fix it.
> > >
> > > People seem to be happy with having hack their way out of non-booting
> > > situations. I was just suggesting a simple change that would make it
> > > infinitely more user friendly if/when it goes wrong.
> >
> > Repeatable Peter, you already have a "stable" 1.15.x release, so why not
> > boot that to recover ?
> >

> If the sym link in /usr/bin is still pointing to xaloader then it is not
> possible to start 1.15.12 and NAES then I have to start the farce of
> booting in TOS editing mint.cnf to boot to a shell. Rebooting in Mint
> so I can delete the symlink. Reboot, etc. etc.

Eh? So you've just broke your stable mint.cnf ??

> So why not take advantage of the optional Mint folders and make them
> available when the Mint kernel loads ? Why rely on the hard-coded folder
> being perfect ?  I hate hard-coded stuff like this.

It's hard coded for safety. So if your "stable" 1.15.x release has a
nice and unmodified mint.cnf - where's the problem ?

If you broke a symlink then fix it, as if you mint.cnf's are all the
same no matter which kernel you boot, you've broken it. xaloader should
be in C:\MINT\1-17-0\XAAES\XALOADER.PRG anyway and your mint.cnf should
point to that, so I'm not sure why you are using symlinks.

> I don't see why there is such opposition to a more flexible system.

Feel free to code it up. I just don't see the point in the effort
against any gain, and I don't see any gain.

> 1.15.12 is so ancient now it would be good to delete it once we have
> a stable release.

Sure. Then the next development cycle starts.

Alan.