Re: [MiNT] Coldfire-build

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
And XaAES too :) I only had a couple of minutes to test this morning, so
I just replaced the kernel with yours and booted. XaAES starts up and
starts the desktop. I started Aniplayer and it apparently works.

Wow, that's huge news! I didn't think we were so close to an ARAnyM/EAsyMiNT setup.

Is FATFS disabled, or is just TOSFS enabled?

I don't know, kernel gurus should answer.

From sys/mint/config.h:

/*
 * use GEMDOS FS instead of real FAT XFS
 */
# undef OLDTOSFS

# ifdef COLDFIRE
# define OLDTOSFS  // else the TFTP Ram-Disk is destroyed
# endif

That RAM-disk should be possible to disable, along with the
STiK-interface.

Sure, we should start MiNT with a clean environment.

So it seems that the hybrid FreeMiNT for ColdFire is basically working. It should be enough to develop new device drivers specific to the FireBee and fully compiled for ColdFire. Also, all user programs could be fully recompiled for ColdFire right now an run optimally.

In the same time, independently, we can patch the assembler files of FreeMiNT so progressively it will not contain any 680x0 opcodes anymore. Then it should work on EmuTOS without any emulation and at optimal speed :-)

Note an important thing. FireTOS partially emulates a 68060 and allows the new ColdFire V4e user instructions. This means that FireTOS is able to run most 680x0 and ColdFire user software. But the supervisor-specific instructions are quite different between 680x0 and ColdFire. So FireTOS requires almost a 680x0 FreeMiNT (stack frames, cache instructions, MMU...), but patched to avoid incompatibilities due to the imperfect emulation. This is what we currently have when we do "make col". A full FreeMiNT for ColdFire, able to run on EmuTOS without emulation, would need to use the ColdFire specific supervisor features. That would be a different kernel. But there is no hurry to do that. For example, I would see something like "make v4e" to build a fully ColdFire FreeMiNT to be run on EmuTOS, and "make firetos" to build a kernel specific to FireTOS and its partial emulation.

--
Vincent Rivière