Re: [MiNT] Proposed modification to k_init.c (XaAES)

25 maj 2011 kl. 13.15 skrev Miro Kropáček:

1. Why should XaAES make assumptions about this stuff? I guess it is to prevent the user from making mistakes, but if you put a screen enhancer (centscreen, blowup etc) into the equation,
the user is still perfectly capable of making similar mistakes anyway.
I agree completely. To me the best way looks to remove this part of code.

Generally, this mode-code approach in xaaes.cnf I find very strange, especially with combination of screen enhancers and/or fvdi configuration, which re-defines the resolution again.

Preferably it should be external to xaaes.km, somehow. But the modecode monkey business is what we have, today.

In our case, we chose an approach where we didn't modify the existing resolutions at all. Setting any standard Falcon resolution yields the exact same result on the SuperVidel. However, setting bit 14 allows it to be modified, while still keeping the meaning of the original bits.

This approach was chosen because it's imo the best compromise between original falcon behavior (which is intact), and some degree of compatibility with the CTPCI (which has a special meaning w. bit 14 too).

Wether this should be put in all API functions (VsetScreen(), VsetMode(), Validmode(), VgetSize()... vq_opnwk()) - or - just handled when opening the physical workstation, I don't know.

-- PeP