Re: [MiNT] on Mega ST

Hi Paul,

i tried to get the system working. Please can i now get a more stable
version please? It seems it is a long way to a working system :-(

The results:

- i put the MiNT drivers in C:\MINT\1-17-0 (like Ole suggests) and now
  MiNT was able to find the mint.cnf and its drivers. I think, this
  should be fixed because it is not possible to create a directory
  with "-" in the name from the desktop in TOS versions up to 3.xx

- After MiNT loaded the ethernet dummy driver (dummy.xif), it stalls.
  The output about load the dummy driver was the last what i can see.
  Then nothing else happens and i had to press the reset button.

For the next tests i disabled the dummy driver.

- MiNT boots and tries to load the AES. I got the following errors
  from XaAES:
  Load kernel module: \c\MINT\1-17-0\XAAES\xaaes000.km
  sysfile_exits: u/c/mint/1-17-0/moose.xdd
  sysfile_exits: u/c/mint/1-17-0/moose_w.adi
  sysfile_exits: u/c/mint/1-17-0/moose.adi
  sysfile_exits: u/c/mint/1-17-0/XAAES/moose_w.adi
  sysfile_exits: u/c/mint/1-17-0/XAAES/moose.adi
  XaAES loader: Fcntl(KM_RUN) failed!

If i understand this right, XaAES will load a mouse driver and this
fails. I checked the generated installation directory but there was no
moose.adi. So i extract both files from the tar.bz2 and copied it to
the C:\MINT\1-17-0\XAAES folder. Then the next test. I have set
Teradesk as a shell.

- Now XAAES crashes after boot:
  BUS ERROR
  assert ('curproc->stack_magic == STACK_MAGIC') failed at line 503 of sig_mach.c

Now i disabled the "shell = " line in xaaes.cnf and make the next test.

- XAAES starts and then i could see the built-in shell of XAAES and a
  alert appears with:
  pid 2 (update) Illegal Instruction
- I could select some menu items which show some informations.
- I select "launch" from the menu and the fileselector comes up. After
  a short time (without any action from me) the system crashes with
  BUS ERROR
  assert ('curproc->stack_magic == STACK_MAGIC') failed at line 503 of sig_mach.c
  Yes, the same as above from the test with teradesk as shell.

- I checked my xaaes.cnf and disabled the run statement for toswin which
  was not installed. Now i see the contents of drive c in the
  fileselector. But after switch to drive d the system crashes again.

I have nvdi 5.00 and wdialog in my auto folder before booting MiNT.
No other auto folder programs and no ACCs.

Because the crash occurs after i access the filesystem, i have a idea
what to check. There are some MiNT filesystem drivers which are not
used because i have only FAT filesystems. I try to test, if one of
them makes the system crash.

After some reboots later. I got him :-)

The ext2.xfs was the problem. Without ext2 driver the MiNT and XaAES
will boot and start the desktop. I remember, the first version of the
ext2 driver will only run on 68030 and above because it uses some
instructions not available on a 68000. But i as far as i remember,
later versions should run on a 68000.

So the system was ready for some fine tuning or work. :-)

Conclusion:

- MiNT did not find the C:\MINT folder
- XaAES mouse driver was missing in the installation folder
- eth dummy driver dummy.xif makes the system hang at boot time
- ext2 driver makes the system crash if the system access the filesystem

Do you want to have some additional tests or ahould i try the same on
my mega ste?

Best regards
Michael