Re: [MiNT] on Mega ST

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Michael Bernstein <mint@mbernstein.de> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> > I think, i can find one in my spare parts collection. So if no one has
>> > a Mega ST, i can dig and set one up.
>> >
>> cool, let me know how you get on
>
> It took a little bit time because on the last weekends are some other
> events. But the hardware is now ready. It is a old Mega 1 upgraded to
> 4 MB ram, a Megafile 60 and SM124. And all parts are working :-) It
> was a little bit searching for the DMA cable and i have no Mega ST
> keyboard. So i took the keyboard of my Mega STE.
>
> What software should i install?
>
>> btw if anyone does have MiNT running on an MegaSTE drop a line
>
> A Mega STE was also part of my spare part box.
>
> Best regards
> Michael

ok, software.. get a kernel archive from freemint.org (1.17 or other,
prob. helmut)
then grab the "mintupgr.sh" script (prev thread or dl here)
http://paulwratt.000space.com/pauls/atarist/scripts.php

the next bit depends on what machine you are downloading to
(*nix,Win,OSX,MiNT). as long as you have a *nix shell
(linux,osx,cygwin,gnu32,ming32,SpareMiNT,GentooMiNT) you can use the
mintupgr.sh script. I may do a .BAT script if there is a need for
one.. but you will need to find (un)bzip2 & (un)tar exe's too. Its
better to use Cygwin or GNU32 atm (plus you can cross compile Atari ST
apps with Vincents Cygwin archives)

its probably easiest to start by placing both in the same folder, the type:
./mintupgr.sh helmut-10082011.tar.bz2 mega --drivers --extras

that will create an install folder with everything you need to start
MiNT/XaAES except for mint.cnf & xaaes.cnf (you will get an upgrade
folder if you dont use "--drivers --extras")

I will put together a quick install archive that contains Teradesk,
QED, filesystem tools, TOSWIN2 plus the most needed binaries from
SpareMiNT (enough for the scripts mentioned here and networking) with
a bare minimum (useful) mint.cnf & xaaes.cnf booting to mono, to help
out with testing new setups..

In the meantime I think the hardest parts are setting up to boot from
HD & getting archive files to the target machine:

Before you get MiNT running you will need:
an hd driver (might be system specifc)
tostools (tos filesystem tools - before you start mint)

To make MiNT useful (besides the mint.cnf & xaaes.cnf) you will need:
desktop (but you can start apps from XaAES "Launch ...")
glustik (gateway for most stik/sting internet apps)
fstools (mint filesystem tools - if you have mint running)

ATM the simplest tested solutions (with zip links) are available from
the Probe House Software website:
 - hd driver & quick mint setup
http://phsw.110mb.com/sw-mintinstall.html
- mint.cnf & xaaes.cnf
http://phsw.110mb.com/sw-mintconf.html
- ext2 + vfat (fat32) tools & format
http://phsw.110mb.com/sw-e2fs.html
 - gzip.ttp & tar.ttp (& rootfs+rpm-3.06)
http://phsw.110mb.com/sw-mintrpm.html

fsetter, glustik, mkfatfs and toswin2 are available in the tools
folder in any kernel archive currently available from freemint.org
(this may change in the future)

I'll post when I have the archive ready, but it will be a while as I
want to test it properly, in the meantime you can get a /bin folder of
sparemint binaries from here (no RPM needed, and only /bin not /etc or
/sbin or /usr/*)
http://paulwratt.000space.com/pauls/atarist/programs.php

the same can be used for your MSTE, with:
./mintupgr.sh helmut-10082011.tar.bz2 mste --drivers --extras

after the initial use of "mintupgr.sh" you can use the simpler
"kernupgr.sh" script to update only mint.prg & xaaes.km for your
system ("mintupgr.sh" will do it without "--drivers --extras" , but it
is a bit slower and requires more binaries)

That should get you going, with enough bits and pieces to be able
to do most things, and answer most questions you have..

Cheers

Paul